Get Marriage Visa for your Spouse

visaThe US law provides ample options for its citizens to bring in foreign spouses to stay with them. The law has definite provisions for bringing in spouses through marriage visa. Being a citizen of US, you have two options to get a spouse visa for your married partner. These laws are quite simple and require you to file in petitions. Let me explain the two provisions of the US Law that will allow your spouse to stay with you in the US.

Immigration visa:

You can apply for an immigration visa for your spouse by duly filling in Form I-130. This is an immigration petition for an alien relative and it is very easy to get spouse visa under the provision of law.

Nonimmigrant visa:

There is another option to apply for a nonimmigrant visa for your spouse too. This visa is known as K3 Visa. The application for this visa and the subsequent processing must be completed in the country where the marriage took place.

After you complete the visa process, you can take your spouse with you to US. Afterwards you can apply for immigrant visa by filing the Form I-130 and Form I-129F.As I have mentioned before, the Form I-130 is the petition for alien relative and the Form I-129F is for alien Fiancée.


Things You should Know about K-1 Visa

The US citizens have lot of queries regarding their foreign fiancé (e) s. The citizens can get married outside the country and bring in their legal spouses with them with appropriate immigration visa. However, the US law has provisions to allow fiancé (e)s to travel to the US and get married and stay there indefinitely. This visa is known as fiancé (e) visa or the K-1 visa.


The criterion of the K-1 visa is clearly mentioned in the US law. At least one party has to be a US citizen and both the parties should be legally free to marry. The law also clearly states that the marriage must take place within 90 days of the fiancé (e) entering the country with the K1 visa.

How to apply

The fiancé (e) has to file the petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or USCIS. The Form I-129F has to be duly filled in and submitted.After the marriage takes place, the petitioner has to file for Adjustment of Status. This is necessary to make him or her eligible to become a legal and permanent resident of US.

The US law mentions separate provisions for children of fiancé (e) provided they are less than 21 years of age and unmarried.The Fiancee Visa provides important immigration benefits and hence is very popular with US citizens and their foreign fiancee.