Things You should Know about K-1 Visa

The US citizens have lot of queries regarding their foreign fiancé (e) s. The citizens can get married outside the country and bring in their legal spouses with them with appropriate immigration visa. However, the US law has provisions to allow fiancé (e)s to travel to the US and get married and stay there indefinitely. This visa is known as fiancé (e) visa or the K-1 visa.


The criterion of the K-1 visa is clearly mentioned in the US law. At least one party has to be a US citizen and both the parties should be legally free to marry. The law also clearly states that the marriage must take place within 90 days of the fiancé (e) entering the country with the K1 visa.

How to apply

The fiancé (e) has to file the petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or USCIS. The Form I-129F has to be duly filled in and submitted.After the marriage takes place, the petitioner has to file for Adjustment of Status. This is necessary to make him or her eligible to become a legal and permanent resident of US.

The US law mentions separate provisions for children of fiancé (e) provided they are less than 21 years of age and unmarried.The Fiancee Visa provides important immigration benefits and hence is very popular with US citizens and their foreign fiancee.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s